Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Most Comforting thing(s) in my home

By far the most comforting things in my home are our 4 fish tanks. In the kitchen we have a 120 gallon Reef Tank. It is 6' x 2' x 2' and fills one corner of our kitchen. The computer seen in the photo is where I am sitting as I write!


Here are some of the inhabitants. A pink skunk clownfish guarding it's pink bubble-tip anemone and an assortment of corals in the fore- and back-ground. 99% of everything you see in our marine tanks was either tank raised, homemade (rock) or purchased from someone who was closing down their tank.

We also have a 50 gallon marine tank in our bedroom. Which is so relaxing to look at before bed. The lights go out around 10 pm but we have blue lights to imitate moonlight that turn on at night and make everything glow!!!

In the living room we have 2x50 gallon freshwater tanks. One is planted with angelfish,
and the other is filled with driftwood and is home to our oscar, kukulkan,


and his large pleco friend.

Freshwater fish and plants are all bred and raised in captivity. To learn more about the freshwater fish, click on the links!

Happy Tuesday!!

11 comments:

  1. Aww yes! I love fish tanks. One day I hope to have one. Yours are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!!! Looking at a tank full of fish is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS! This is most unique and extremely beautiful! Is it a bear cleaning it? We used to have a small (10 gal) tank and dh never liked to clean it. :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! It was so relaxing to sit and watch them when I visited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, my guess is you are talking about the big one...it is actually really low maintenance...being a student I don't have a lot of time for cleaning etc. Actually, the freshwater ones are triple the work of the big one! I bet you 10 gal was more work than my big one!!! If you are considering getting a new tank and want a marine one...drop me and email and we can chat! : ) Actually, that goes for anyone who is interested and has some questions! : ) I also have more info about my tanks on my ecoreef blog (see the link in blogs I am following)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are by far the most beautiful tanks I have seen. I always wanted to put one in the bedroom, will have to look into the blue lights.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fish! I love to just sit and watch them, but we don't have any of our own. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. These aquariums are just beautiful. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes, those are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, yeah, I did mean the huge one. :) Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'll see if dh ever wants another tank; thanks for the offer of info and assistance! Problem would be finding a good spot for it in the house now. I do love watching sea life swim around and do their thing. When we go to our local science museum, I spend a lot of time sitting in front of their aquarium. :>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow !! those tanks are spectacular, not to mention beautiful and the sound most be very soothing. I always wished I'd become a marine bioligist. Sigh.

    Cheers from a fellow Nova Scotian

    ReplyDelete